Is there much difference between 1.75 and 2.15 tires?

For discussion of folding and micro bicycles.

Is there much difference between 1.75 and 2.15 tires?

Postby thomash2 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:32 am

Hi,
I have a 2009 Dahon Speed TR that I took on tours, and over the past 3-4 years it's probably done 10,000-12,000 km. I still have the original Schwalbe Big Apple 20 x 2.00 tires, but the past few months I keep getting flats every 2-3 weeks, so I think it's time to get some new tires.

I'm trying to decide between 1.75 and 2.15 tires. Would there be much difference?

I am trying to decide between the:
Schwalbe Energizer Plus 20 x 1.75 640g
(which appears to have all the same specs as the Marathon, but gummier to allow more wet traction)
Big Apple Plus 20 x 2.15 730g
(which now has a puncture strip)

The original Big Apple is 495g, and my bike is already around 18kg with all the accessories attached. I also have about 30kg of gear that I carry on the bike. So, changing to the Big Apple Plus would add almost 500g while the energizer will be only a 300g addition. On the other hand narrower tires wouldn't hold up all the weight too well.

I have tried on a Marathon Supreme 20 x 1.6 and it feels a little faster, but the grip wasn't as good on gravel, although I don't know the experience was real or just psychological.

I will mostly be riding on hard surfaces, not so much gravel anymore, but the paths here are bumpy with intermittent brick roads, and and the Marathon Supreme makes it a very stiff ride.

Both the Big Apple Plus and Energizer Plus are just 12 Euro a tire, while the old Big Apple is 20 Euro. Strange.
thomash2

Return to General Chat